Thursday, March 15, 2012

making it happen

Holy's Thursday already?! Where does the time go these days? Thanks to all of you for your comments/emails about the armoire yesterday. I really must say I couldn't have done it without my crazy Hubs and his da bomb carpentry skills. I still have big plans for redoing the inside of it, but that most likely won't get done before our Texas trip (if I'm being real with myself). However, I thought I might share some of the tips and steps the Hubs and I did to transform her from child's armoire to our newest bedroom beauty.

First and foremost DON'T Underestimate the Power of the Crayon...haha. Before we touched the armoire, I made sure and printed out a picture of it and then used a crayon to "color-sketch" my ideas onto the page (to see if the Hubs could help me make it happen-I have a tendency to be unrealistic). I know it looks more like I was channeling my inner 6 year old...but it seriously helped.

I knew I needed a larger mirror so we first had to remove the existing oval mirror and cut out a rectangle in the door.

To make it look more substantial and "beefy" as I called it in yesterday's post, we added molding around the door frame.

We had mirror cut at our local glass shop. It was $45 for the mirror and the cutting (total). Completely worth not having to do it ourselves. We then glued it in from behind (with silicone adhesive).

I have plans to cover up the glue and the back of the mirror when I start to tackle re-doing the inside of the cabinet. For now the drippy glue look is in at the Schutz casa haha.
We painted the armoire Olympic's Mountain Stream and then rubbed Minwax's wood finish stain in Dark Walnut (after it dried) to deepen and enrich the color.

The last part of the transformation was to address the top of the armoire. I loved the original detail at the top...

but I knew I wanted it rebuilt with cleaner lines. The Hubs used some crown molding to build up the top and used the same stain (Minwax in dark walnut) that we used to rub over the paint, to give it some rich color.

The project took us an entire 3 day weekend, but in the end, it was worth our time because of all the money we saved doing it ourselves.
We spent:
$55 on the actual armoire (Craigslist steal)
$45 on the mirror
$40 on paint, stain, legs & hardware
for a total of $140.

Now I think that's a fantastic deal!

and no child armoire's were hurt in order to make this blog post. I hope you all have a fantastic day today and come back tomorrow so I can share something with you that's been heavy on my mind lately ;.)


  1. Courtney, all of your projects are just wonderful!

  2. Thanks for providing us this great knowledge, i think i need this. Keep it up.
    minecraft games | fnaf
    happy wheels | abcdeya
    happy wheels | agario hi
    tetris - puzzle games
    brain games

  3. With a Hotmail account, you can send and receive emails quickly and easily as well as login and use all Microsoft services.
    hotmail login | recover hotmail password

    This is the game so players feel very fierce , adventurous . You try to join and play this game , you will feel great like.
    fireboy and watergirl 2 | learn to fly | gun mayhem 2 | slitherio
    strike force heroes | strike force heroes 4 | tank trouble 2 | age of war

  4. obat psoriasis Your website is very interesting, obat asam lambung tinggi it is not boring and full of inspiration that you devote obat ginjal bengkak. Your website deserve to be the best obat penurun mata minus

  5. The information is very spectacular. Thank you for sharing the information :)


I love to hear your thoughts lovelies! Comment away!


design + development by fabulous k